YOUMARES 8 - Sessions and Call for Abstracts
Oceans across boundaries: Learning from each other
Kiel, 13 to 15 September 2017
We are glad to announce the sessions of the YOUMARES 8 edition:
1) Sentinels of the Sea: Ecology and Conservation of Marine Top Predators
Dominik A. Nachtsheim and Brigitte C. Heylen
2) Reading the book of life – omics as a universal tool across disciplines
Jan D. Brüwer and Hagen Buck-Wiese
3) Physical processes in the tropical and subtropical oceans: Variability, impacts, and connections to other components of the climate system
Tina Dippe and Martin Krebs
4) Cephalopods: Life histories of evolution and adaptations
Fedor Lishchenko and Richard Schwarz
5) Ecosystems dynamics in a changing world: regime shifts and resilience in marine communities
Camilla Sguotti and Xochitl Cormon
6) The interplay between marine biodiversity and ecosystems functioning: patterns and mechanisms in a changing world
Francisco R. Barboza, Maysa Ito and Markus Franz
7) Ocean optics and ocean color remote sensing
Veloisa Mascarenhas, Yangyang Liu and Therese Keck
8) Polar ecosystems in the age of climate change
Maciej Mańko and Katarzyna Walczyńska
9) The physics of the Arctic and Subarctic oceans in a changing climate
Camila Campos and Myriel Horn
10) Phytoplankton in a changing environment – adaptation mechanisms and ecological surveys
Jana Geuer and Laura Käse
11) How do they do it? – Understanding the success of marine invasive species
Jonas Geburzi and Morgan L. McCarthy
12) Coastal ecosystem restoration – innovations for a better tomorrow
Jana Carus and Matthias Goerres
13) Microplastics in aquatic habitats – environmental concentrations and consequences
Thea Hamm, Claudia Lorenz and Sarah Piehl
14) Tropical aquatic ecosystems across time, space and disciplines
Mona Andskog, Hannah Earp, Natalie Prinz and Maha Cziesielski
15) Open Session
You are willing to contribute your research outcomes to one of the sessions above?
The session chairs will assess the quality of submitted abstracts and will select oral and poster presentations for YOUMARES 8 based on objective criteria.
(SJ, 30 March 2017)
Starting off as a national students' event, Youmares has expanded over the years to a bottom-up worldwide network and international meeting of young ocean researchers and experts.
Preceded by the annual meeting of the German Society of Marine Research (DGM) and the DGM-Forum, Youmares 7 was again a great success where we could enjoy the various talks and workshops as well as spending time together. Many ideas and contacts were exchanged which is the main idea - and it was truly inspiring.
Youmares 8 will take place in Kiel on September 13-15th 2017.
We are very happy that we can meet at Kiel University, place of the Cluster of Excellence 'The Future Ocean' with organisational support of the 'Integrated School of Ocean Sciences' (ISOS). So, please save that date.
1. Call for sessions
WE want YOU at Youmares 8, on September 13-15th 2017 in Kiel!
“Oceans across boundaries: learning from each other”
YOUR field of investigation or interest should become a focus! YOU as a chair of a scientific session for a young, professional audience! YOU as an author of a peer-reviewed review article in the Youmares Conference Proceedings 2017! YOU as a participant and advanced (Master or PhD) student and YOU with your broad overview as well as a detailed understanding of your marine research subject!
Apply with your own session (alone or as a team) for YOUMARES 2017; the NEW DEADLINE is February 28th.
2. This was Youmares 7
Around 110 participants joined Youmares 7 at the University of Hamburg. Eleven sessions gave an insight into the research fields of young researchers and students. It is one of the charming aspects of Youmares that also Bachelor and Master students have an audience to present their work. Young scientists organised everything informally, always a hand to give and a hand to receive help, that in the end everyone was sitting with an 'UR-Knall'- beer philosophising about how we can really manage EU-fisheries or dancing their PhDs in the Volt-Bar… Thanks for that experience!
3. Support for Youmares 8
As every year, we need your help to realize our oncoming conference and network meeting. Youmares is non-profit oriented, still we need money and resources to make it happen.
Lisa Hentschel presented the working group Oceanphilosophers founded after the Youmares conference in 2015 and invited participants to join. The platform is now being set up, see: http://www.oceanphilosophers.com/
Are you interested to participate? Then contribute to newsletters and join our Oceanphilosophers meetings!
Let’s see each other in Kiel - we keep in touch; follow us on twitter or facebook.
Viola Liebich (on behalf of the Youmares organization team)